Practice Test 5 - Target TOEIC
1. Audio Practice Test 5 - Target TOEIC
2. Transcripts Practice Test 5 - Target TOEIC
Part I Picture Description
1. (A) A family is resting in the airport lounge.
(B) The man is issuing boarding passes.
(C) Many people are waiting to board a plane.
(D) The airport lounge is almost empty.
2. (A) The man is using a power drill.
(B) The man is wearing protective headgear.
(C) The man is driving a car.
(D) The man is wearing a uniform.
3. (A) There is a long line at the express checkout.
(B) There are very few customers in the store.
(C) There is a meeting in the board room.
(D) There a stack of cans by the door.
4. (A) The woman is using a notebook computer.
(B) The woman is watching a TV screen.
(C) The woman is arranging papers.
(D) The woman is closing her computer.
5. (A) A crowd is gathering outside the office building.
(B) A man is flying a flag outside the office building.
(C) Four flags are hanging from the office building.
(D) Four flags are hanging inside the office building.
6. (A) Two business people are walking past a park.
(B) The business people are working in the park.
(C) The woman is walking alone.
(D) The men are walking past a park.
7. (A) The man and woman are sitting next to each other.
(B) The man and woman are sitting across from each other.
(C) The man is sitting between the women.
(D) The woman is sitting between the men.
8. (A) The man is lifting weights.
(B) The man is waiting for someone.
(C) The man is weighing something.
(D) The man is being weighed.
9. (A) There is a telephone on the desk.
(B) There is a file adjacent to the desk.
(C) There is a file on the desk.
(D) There is nothing on the desk.
10. (A) The customers are leaving the restaurant.
(B) The customers are giving their order to the waiter.
(C) The waiter is taking an order.
(D) The waiter is carrying a tray of drinks.
Part 2 Questions and Responses
11. Can we schedule the meeting for a later time?
(A) No, I have to leave by 4:00.
(B) No, I had already left.
(C) He is never on time.
12. Where's the newspaper?
(A) In the refrigerator.
(B) On the corner of 6th and Carlyle.
(C) On the table in the break room.
13. Now that we have more employees do you think we should rearrange the staff room?
(A) Yes, I rearranged my room last week.
(B) Yes, we need to add more desks.
(C) Not according to my estimates.
14. Is that the final item of business?
(A) No, Mr Curds has one more thing.
(B) Mr Curds has an excellent business.
(C) Yes, I would like to buy that item.
15. Where are they holding the conference this year?
(A) They never go to conferences.
(B) Las Vegas is the place to go.
(C) San Francisco.
16. Why was he upset?
(A) Because he lost his wallet?
(B) It was quite an upset.
(C) Oh, I never get upset.
17. Who was that on the phone?
(A) I need directions to the stadium.
(B) It was my accountant.
(C) Our telephone rarely rings.
18. How often do you run a virus check on your computer?
(A) Not as often as I should.
(B) Yes, I believe it is good for your health.
(C) Last week, there was an outbreak.
19. I think we should buy a new computer system.
(A) I bought a new stereo system last year.
(B) That's a very good idea.
(C) Technology is always developing.
20. Is there gas in the car?
(A) About three quarters of a tank.
(B) The car is in the garage.
(C) I don't like the smell of gas.
21. Did you finish report?
(A) Here it is, ready to be copied.
(B) I finish work at 5:00
(C) You must report to the supervisor.
22. Would you please call me as soon as the shipment arrives?
(A) I called about the shipment last week.
(B) I can wait for that call.
(C) Yes, it's supposed to arrive within the hour.
23. Where have you been all morning?
(A) I was in a meeting
(B) No, I haven't been there yet
(C) It's about time.
24. Will you be coming by bus or by train?
(A) Um, actually, I'm thinking of flying.
(B) The bus was late again.
(C) Where's the station?
25. You're late. Was the traffic bad?
(A) Light traffic is expected in the early morning and late afternoon.
(B) Yes, I left terrible today.
(C) Yes, it was terrible.
26. How long do you expect to stay here?
(A) For the past year.
(B) For a least one year
(C) I'm sorry, I can't stay long.
27. What do you think of the new manager?
(A) I haven't thought about him in years.
(B) She seems very competent and kind.
(C) I think the new building is badly designed.
28. Can you pick me up at the airport tomorrow at 5:30?
(A) Yes, that's no problem.
(B) He already left.
(C) Take exit 70 off Hightway 15 and you can't miss the airport.
29. The meeting was short,wasn't it?
(A) Yes, I expected it to be longer.
(B) He isn't to short.
(C) I can't make it to the meeting
30. When do you leave?
(A) Last year.
(B) In five weeks
(C) For about two hours.
31. Oh no! The cable isn't long enough.
(A) That's OK. There's an extension cord under the table.
(B) I never have long enough.
(C) That was lucky.
32. I'd like to pay by credit card.
(A) It's a gold card.
(B) If you lose your credit card, report it immediately.
(C) certainly, sir, if I could just see some identification?
33. When do we need to let them know?
(A) By Friday at the latest.
(B) I'll let them know.
(C) He didn't know.
34. Why are you so reluctant to delegate tasks?
(A) Because I can never explain what I want to others.
(B) There's a delegation from the Ministry of Finance.
(C) I have so many tasks to complete.
35. Who told you about the job opening in the sales department?
(A) I'm going to apply.
(B) To be honest, I don't really remember.
(C) They are closing the department.
36. Why haven't you mailed all those catalogs yet?
(A) I'm going to do it on the way to the bank.
(B) The mail is usually delivered in the morning.
(C) I don't get much mail these days.
37. When does Antonio usually get here?
(A) He's not here yet.
(B) He's usually at his desk by 8:30.
(C) The financial forecast for this quarter is not looking good.
38. How many people attended the meeting yesterday?
(A) It was yesterday afternoon.
(B) There must have been at least 50 people there.
(C) I forgot to bring the agenda.
39. What am I going to tell her when she arrives?
(A) I wouldn't tell her.
(B) It's a great idea.
(C) I don't know, but I'm glad I'm not in your shoes.
40. Which button do I press to send the fax?
(A) I lost a button on my jacket.
(B) Press the big red one
(C) It's not a fax.
Part 3. Short Conversations.
Questions 41 through 43 refer to the following conversation.
(W) I don't know about this company. The trip last week didn't go well. They were supposed to pick us up at the airport,
but no one was there, so we had to find our own hotel! It was awful.
(M) That's surprising. They are usually conscientious. I wonder what happened.
(W) I was grateful that I had changed money before I left or we would have been stranded.
(M) Like I say, that's really surprising. I've never had any problems.
Questions 44 through 46 refer to the following conversation.
(M) I'm disappointed that Everest did not accept our offer. I thought we were on to a sure thing.
(W) The director over there thought it wasn't high enough. I guess they are looking for someone who can offer them more.
(M) But according to our research, it was generous by market standards. I can't imagine who can afford to pay more than
we were offering.
Questions 47 through 49 refer to the following conversation
(M) I'm not impressed with the new receptionist. She makes mistakes all the time, and she still can't remember anyone's name.
(W) Give her time; it's only been a month since she started.
(M) But she's got three year's previous experience, and the job is not a difficult one. It took Carla only two weeks to learn
the job. I don't see why she's having such a hard time.
Questions 50 through 52 refer to the following conversation
(W) How would you like me to send this report to you? Shall I send it by mail, or do you need it in a hurry?
(M) Well, since I'm just across town how about sending it by courier? It'd be nice if I could see it before the end of the
(W) Fine. I'll call a courier. It'll be there this afternoon
(M) Great I appreciate it.
Questions 53 through 55 refer to the following conversation
(W) I was wondering if you would be free on Friday. My flight leaves at 8:00. Could you give me a ride to the airport?
(M) Yes, of course. You'll need to be there two hours before, so that's 6:00. We should probably allow an hour for traffic
So, why don't I pick you up at 5:00?
(W) That's be great - if you are sure it's OK. I know it's very early for you.
(M) It's no big deal.
Questions 56 through 58 refer to the following conversation
(W) Before you leave today, I'd like you to look over the schedule and let me know if it meets with your approval. I've
tried to accommodate your requests.
(M) OK. Let's see. Oh, you've put me on the early shift next month. I hadn't expected that.
(W) Well, Jeff has been complaining about being on early for so long, so I swapped things around You might find you
Questions 59 through 61 refer to the following conversation
(W) I'd like a non-stop flight from San Francisco to Austin on the 5th. What do you have available?
(M) There are three non-stops daily: Triumph Airlines at 6:40am and 2:50 p.m and Sonic Glights at 9:40 a.m. Which would
(W) Well, I belong to the Sonic Flights frequent flyer club so I'll take the mid-morning flight.
(M) And would you like a window or an aisle seat?
Questions 62 through 64 refer to the following conversation
(W) Did you work on this report? I've just finished reading through it.
(M) Yes, I did. Is there anything wrong? I spent the whole weekend trying to finish it, and I checked all the facts about
(W) Not at all. It's excellent and I want to thank you for your hard work. It's obvious that put a lot of effort into it.
Questions 65 through 67 refer to the following conversation.
(W) I've been getting complaints from customers. What seems to be the problem?
(M) It looks like the water has been shut off to this part of the city for the afternoon.
(W) I see. Well, unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that, but we should put up some notices so people know
what to expect. Lock the rest rooms, too.
(M) Ok, I'll lock the rest rooms and put signs on the doors.
Questions 68 through 70 refer to the following conversation
(M) I'd like to deposit this money and check my balance.
(W) Certainly. OK, including this deposit your balance is $1,47325. Have you thought of changing to an account with a
higher rate of interest?
(M) Well, do I have enough money for that? My balance usually drops to about $500 by the end of each month.
(W) Oh, then perhaps you'd do better to keep your present account.
Part 4 Short Talks
Questions 71 through 73 refer to the following announcement.
(M) I would like to take a moment to welcome our new staff members. Jim Lewis comes to us from Park & Schiefer in Los Angeles
He specializes in international business investment. he speaks Chinese and Japanese and is learning Vietnamese. He will be
a great asset to our client interested in Asian business ventures. His wife, Wendy from Richards Dawson and MacCadam, is a
marketing expert. She was based for many years in switzerland and is well versed in European marketing techniques. She has
already taken on two of our more particular clients with ease. We look forward to working with both of them and welcome them
to New York. For those of you taking business trips to LA, the Lewis's know all the best restaurant there.
Questions 74 through 76 refer to the following announcement
(W) Here is your schedule for next week. You arrive at 8:15 on Monday morning, and the director will pick you up at the airport
He'll take you to the office where you'll have meetings all day. Monday evening is a diner with the whole staff. It'll be a
fairly informal affair, and it shouldn't go on too long. Tuesday and Wednesday will be spent touring the outlying sites
with managers. Thursday, you can do interviews and compile your analysis. Your presentation is scheduled for Friday at 10:00 a.m
You have the afternoon off, and you fly out at 10 p.m on Friday night. I know it's very busy but that's the best we could
do. Anyway, I think it's better than hanging around with a lot of dead time.
Questions 77 through 79 refer to the following message.
(W) Ms.Giles we have you confirmed on Flight 67 departing from Hong Kong on the 30th June at 7:30 a m with non-stop service to
San Francisco. There will be three light meals served on this flight, and your request for the vegetarian option has been noted.
We also have you confirmed on Flight 329 to Dallas, departing at 6:20 pm on the 30th of June, with a stopover in Phoenix. You
must arrive at the airport on check in at least two hours before flight time. Carry on luggage is limited to one item per
passenger. Thank you for calling. Have a good trip and thank you for flying International Airlines.
Questions 80 through 82 refer to the following report.
(W) Breaking news in the field of business. The leader in family restaurants and the leader in family entertainment are
joining forces in a landmark alliance. The singer Co, and the Eatorama Corp, have reached and agreement to cooperate to
cooperate in advertising campaigns. The fact that both companies are leaders in their respective fields makes this deal of
special importance. Worth about 8 billion dollars unnamed company officials say the deal has secretly been five years in the
making although rummors have been flying for the last seven days. When the deal was announced three days ago, the marketing
world celebrated. It has been alleged that their first campaign will feature top Hollywood actors Tim McRae and Joseph Frank.
Questions 83 through 85 refer to the following announcement.
(M) The 8th annual Maddison, Maddison and Huntley Charity Walk will be go to the Boys & Girls Club and help to fund activities
such as a summer camp and after school care for underprivileged children aged 5-17. We are asking all employees who are interested
in joining the walk to get a minimum of three sponsors to pledge no less than 10 cents per mile. The walk will begin at 8:30 a.m
at the Plaza and wind for a total of 10 miles up to the Ski Basin and back around to the river. All participants who register
by May 1st will get a free T-shirt designed by top designer Sandra Mandini. Wear confortable shoes and come ready to walk!
Questions 86 through 88 refer to the following speech.
(W) As the latest additions to the Cheerful Shopper family of employees, I would like to start by congratulating you on being accept to
our management trainee program. There was a lot of tough competition, but you beat over 4000 other applicants to be chosen.
The ten of you will work very closely together over the next for weeks working as a team. You may be here to train as managers,
but every manager is still a part of a team. That is one of the most important things to remember as a branch manager. Let's take
a look at the schedule for today. We'll start by getting to know everyone the we'll look at the history of the company. After
lunch, I'll explain the projects you'll be working on.
Questions 89 through 91 refer to the following announcement.
(M) Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Pentangle Castle. Work to restore Pentangle Castle, destroyed by fire three and a half years
ago, will be completed in mid-2007, on schedule and under its $50 million budget. On August 12,2002 fire burned through 11 main
rooms in the southwestern wing of the historic castle. About 80 percent of the total cost will come from entry fees paid by visitors
to Pentangle Castle and the remainder from government funds and private donations. One of our most generous sponsors has been the
McDougall Construction and Engineering Group. They have been lending is construction workers and engineers, free of charge, to assist
with the reconstruction of the rooms.
Questions 92 through 94 refer to the following advertisement.
(W) Check out Murray's Gardens for all your gardening supplies. Looking for something to brighten up those borders? Want something to
tame those weeds? Chances are that you'll find just what you need at an affordable price at Murray's. We stock everything from seeds
to lawn mowers to garden benches. Murray's has been in the gardening business for over 50 years and our staff are all experienced
gardeners themselves. They'll be able to advise you on growing flowers, fruit, and vegetables. They can provide full tutorials on just
about every aspect of garden management and landscaping. For a limited time every purchase. Come on down to Murray's where the grass
is always greener.
Questions 95 through 97 refer to the following talk.
(M) Today's seminar on money management will focus on the small adjustments you can make to your spending habits in order to
save money. You'd be surprised how even the slightest change can save you a lot over the course of a year. First, you need
a goal. What do you want to save money for? How much will you need to achieve that goal? Start working towards that goal. Do
you buy sandwiches on the way to the office? How many of you buy take-out coffee on your way to work every day? Have you ever
stopped to think how much that comes to in one week? In one month? This year, how much money will you have spent on something you
could easily make at home for less a quarter of the price.
Questions 98 through 100 refer to the following message.
(W) Hi,June, it's Alison. I know you are in a meeting right now, but I'd like you to call me as soon as you get back. I've just received
the estimates from the caterers for next month's conference. They are all asking a lot more than we expected. I guess we have a couple
of options, so I'd like to run them by you and get your feedback. We could look for a fourth caterer, but it's aldready close to the date
of the conference and there's no guarantee they'd be cheaper anyway. Or, we could ask them to give us a less expansive menu
with fewer dishes. Maybe we could get one with lots of bread or pasta so that people feel full. We could see how much that would cost.
Let me know what you think !
3. Answer key Practice Test - Target TOEIC
1. (D) The airport lounge is almost empty.
2. (B) The man is wearing protective headgear.
3. (B) There are very few customers in the store.
4. (A) The woman is using a notebook computer.
5. (C) Four flags are hanging from the office building.
6. (A) Two businesspeople are walking past a park.
7. (A) The man and woman are sitting next to each other.
8. (B) The man is waiting for someone
9. (C) There is a file on the desk.
10. (D) The waiter is carrying a tray of drinks.
11. (A) No, I have to leave by 4:00.
12. (C) On the table in the break room.
13. (B) Yes, we need to add more desks.
14. (A) No, Mr.Curds has one more thing.
15. (C) San Francisco.
16. (A) Because he lost his wallet
17. (B) It was my accountant.
18. (A) Not as often as I should.
19. (B) That's a very good idea.
20. (A) About three quarters of a tank
21. (A) Here it is, ready to be copied.
22. (C) Yes, it's supposed to arrive within the hour.
23. (A) I was in a meeting.
24. (A) Um, actually, I'm thinking of flying.
25. (C) Yes, it was terrible.
26. (B) For at least one year.
27. (B) She seems very competent and kind
28. (A) Yes, that's no problem
29. (A) Yes, I expected it to be longer.
30. (B) In five weeks.
31. (A) That's OK. There's an extension cord under the table.
32. (C) Certainly, sir, if I could just see some identification?
33. (A) By Friday at the latest.
34. (A) Because I can never explain what I want to others.
35. (B) To be honest, I don't really remember.
36. (A) I'm going to do it on the way to the bank.
37. (B) He's usually at his desk by 8:30
38. (B) There must have been at least 50 people.
39. (C) I don't know, but I'm glad I'm not in your shoes.
40. (B) Press the big red one.
41. (D) Upset and unimpressed
42. (A) Very surprised
43. (A) The company is located overseas.
44. (B) It was too low.
45. (B) Disappointed
46. (A) It will be hard to beat.
47. (B) The new receptionist is not very efficient
48. (C) 4 weeks
49. (B) He needs to give the receptionist more time.
50. (B) How he would like her to send the report
51. (D) Delivered by hand
52. (C) In the afternoon.
53. (A) Take her to the airport
54. (D) 5:00
55. (A) It will be too early for the man.
56. (C) He starts early
57. (D) He is surprised by the changes.
58. (C) One of their coworkers wanted a different schedule.
59. (B) Making an airline flight reservation.
60. (B) 9:40 a.m
61. (B) She is collecting frequent flyer points from that airline.
62. (B) Reading a report.
63. (A) He thinks his work might not be good enough
64. (A) It deserves praise.
65. (C) The water supply has been cut off.
66. (A) There is not much that they can do.
67. (D) Put up signs and close the restrooms
68. (A) At a bank.
69. (B) Switch to a higher interest account
70. (A) It would be better not to change things.
71. (C) To introduced new staff members
72. (C) Business investments in Asia
73. (A) Switzerland
74. (B) There is a dinner with the staff
75. (C) Friday
76. (D) Friday
77. (B) Over the telephone
78. (D) Dallas
79. (B) International Airlines
80. (A) Two companies will share marketing campaigns
81. (C) 5 years.
82. (C) Both companies are very successful.
83. (A) Get three sponsors
84. (B) Activities for children
85. (C) Wear comfortable shoes
86. (C) At a new employee orientation
87. (D) 10
88. (B) That the manager is part of a team
89. (D) 11 rooms
90. (C) Entry fees
91. (B) They have been providing labor for free.
92. (C) A garden supply center
93. (D) Over four decades
94. (B) Free compost
95. (C) Easy ways to save money
96. (D) Even slight changes in spending habits can save you a lot of money
97. (B) It is a waste of money
98. (A) To tell him that catering costs are higher than anticipated
99. (C) 3
100. (C) Reduce the variety of dishes and request a new estimate.
Practice Test 6 - Target TOEIC
Target TOEIC Second Edition Book