Practice Test 2 - Target TOEIC
1. Audio Practice Test 2 - Target TOEIC
2. Transcripts Practice Test 2 - Target TOEIC
Part 1 Picture Description
1. (A) The doctors are washing a patient.
(B) The doctors are watching an x-ray
(C) The doctors are looking at an x-ray.
(D) The doctors are x-raying a patient.
2. (A) There's no one in the lobby.
(B) There's a party in the lobby.
(C) There's a porter carrying bags across the lobby.
(D) There's a young man making a phone call.
3. (A) The woman is taking off her jacket.
(B) The woman is getting off the train.
(C) The woman is waiting for the train.
(D) The woman has just eaten lunch.
4. (A) The players are in the locker room
(B) It's a cold day.
(C) The referee is observing the players.
(D) The referee is upset.
5. (A) It's too early to check in for the flight.
(B) He's checking in at the airport.
(C) She needs her passport and ticket.
(D) The counter is getting crowded.
6. (A) The woman is standing next to the ladder.
(B) The woman is standing beside the ladder.
(C) The painter is standing beneath the ladder.
(D) The woman is standing atop the ladder.
7. (A) The clothes are on the floor
(B) The clothes are hanging on the rack.
(C) The cleaner is hanging the clothes.
(D) The clothes are torn and dirty.
8. (A) The two men are shaking hands on an agreement.
(B) The two men cannot agree with each other.
(C) They are arguing about a contract.
(D) It's the man's wedding anniversary.
9. (A) They are working in the woman's garden.
(B) They are working near a minor road.
(C) They are working on the highway.
(D) They are working in the middle of the street.
10. (A) The woman is writing something in her book.
(B) The woman is having dinner with a client.
(C) The woman has a laptop computer on her desk.
(D) The woman is happy and excited.
Part 2 Questions and Responses
11. Is the copy machine working?
(A) I have last month's report.
(B) I'm trying to finish calculating the figures.
(C) No. The repairman hasn't arrived yet.
12. How long will the Computer Conference last?
(A) All weekend.
(B) I went for a long swim.
(C) It's down the hall on your left.
13. May I borrow your pen?
(A) I just read the accounting memo.
(B) Sure, but I need it back.
(C) I got a loan from the bank for my car.
14. Why did the meeting last so long?
(A) There's not going to be a newsletter issued again.
(B) There were a lot of items to discuss.
(C) We had an excellent time at the party.
15. What did you decide about the fax machine?
(A) We're going to buy a new one.
(B) There was a power cut yesterday.
(C) I sent him a fax last weekend.
16. Where are last year's records kept?
(A) On the middle shelf towards the wall.
(B) He recorded that album four years ago.
(C) In the refrigerator.
17. I'm leaving for airport in half an hour.
(A) He's on his way to work.
(B) Well, have a safe flight.
(C) Yes, before the traffic gets too heavy.
18. Will the office be open tomorrow afternoon?
(A) I'm open to new suggestions
(B) He left early because he had a dental appointment.
(C) No, we're closing early for the holiday.
19. Is 11 o'clock or 2 o'clock on Friday better for you?
(A) Yes, let's meet in my office.
(B) I hate Fridays.
(C) I have an opening at eleven.
20. When were you in New York?
(A) I'm feeling better than yesterday.
(B) Two years ago.
(C) I love art museums.
21. How many copies of this handout do you want made for the meeting?
(A) The report was short.
(B) I'm meeting with the Board of Directors this afternoon.
(C) Twenty-five should be enough.
22. I've proofread this book, so I'm going to mail it.
(A) Wait. I need to take a look first!
(B) Sure, give me 10 minutes.
(C) The post office is one Cordova Road.
23. I'd like an aisle seat, please towards the front of the plane.
(A) I'm sorry, sir. I only have window seats available.
(B) My back hurts when I sit in these chairs for too long.
(C) I agree. The food was excellent last right.
24. I'd like you to type this letter this afternoon or by tomorrow morning.
(A) OK, I can get it done after lunch.
(B) I tried calling but got a busy signal.
(C) It's Tuesday tomorrow.
25. Why did you close the branch early?
(A) There was a power outage, so I couldn't serve customers.
(B) I had to close the branch early
(C) It's a long way from here.
26. Who is coming to the mortgage and insurance presentation?
(A) Ian and Brian will be joining you.
(B) I don't have any insurance.
(C) There's a schedule of activities on the hall board.
27. Where is the new accountant going to work?
(A) He'll have an office on the fifth floor.
(B) I'm sure he'll work the same hours as us.
(C) It's not an option, I'm afraid.
28. When did you need the budget spreadsheets by?
(A) As soon as possible.
(B) I haven't made them yet.
(C) It's three o'clock in London.
29. What is he going to talk about?
(A) He might talk for over two hours.
(B) It says in the program.
(C) I've heard he gives very interesting talks.
30. Should I hire Mr.Mathers or should I hire Mr. Williams?
(A) I'd go for the candidate with the most experience.
(B) Williams is a common family name.
(C) I'm going for lunch.
31. I can't find the filing cabinet keys anywhere.
(A) It's getting late.
(B) I hope they're not locked inside the cabinet.
(C) I'm filing the papers as fast as I can.
32. How many customer comment forms were turned in last week?
(A) Yes, there was a big increase in customers last week.
(B) I don't know. I haven't counted them yet.
(C) It's really not fair.
33. Where has Greenford decided to put the new fax machine?
(A) Well, he doesn't often send taxes, does he?
(B) He's trying to replace the circuit boards in the old machines.
(C) He said he would put it between the copy machine and the filing cabinets.
34. When can I get the estimates for the pamphlets?
(A) I don't think you can guess something like that.
(B) I've already sent them to your secretary.
(C) I'm sure they'll send them.
35. Why is there a big stack of boxes over by the window?
(A) The basement is flooded and there was nowhere else to put them.
(B) It does look rather heavy.
(C) I'm off to the cafeteria. Can I get you anything?
36. Who is our contact at Wishford?
(A) I believe it's still Andy McCarthy.
(B) I haven't contacted them for about six months.
(C) I used to work at Wishford.
37. Didn't I ask you to finish writing the review of the new software by Friday?
(A) Relax, I still have a whole day to get it done.
(B) I'm using a new computer.
(C) I have to install a new program for you.
38. What is wrong with this computer?
(A) It's one of the latest models.
(B) Have you tried using the new copy machine?
(C) It's probably got a virus
39. I'm really pleased with the way these leaflets have turned out.
(A) Thank you. I designed the lettering using my PC.
(B) Yeah, a lot have turned out today.
(C) I think I'm catching a cold.
40. How do I replace the toner in the copy machine?
(A) That's wonderful news. I knew you would.
(B) Turn the green lever, then pull out the empty tube.
(C) I don't think they will be making a delivery today.
Part 3 Short Conversations
Questions 41 through 43 refer to the following conversation
(W) Is that the new computer the office bought for you? It looks pretty nice. I hadn't realized they
were going to buy laptops.
(M) Yes, I love it. It's so much faster than my old one, and I can just take it home with me if I want
to get something finished instead of staying late at the office. I've only had it a week, but it has
already made my life so much easier.
(W) Great. I'm on the list to get one, too. I can't wait to start using it.
Questions 44 through 46 refer to the following conversation
(M) I haven't seen you in the office all week. Have you been following the recent business reports
out of Asia?
(W) No, I've been at a conference all week. I haven't had the time.
(M) You might want to take a look at them. There are copies in the conference room. It might be a good idea
to go check them out before you start on anything else.
(W) That sounds ominous. Something bad always happens when I leave the office for a few days.
Questions 47 through 49 refer to the following conversation
(W) Are you going to the meeting, or do you have too much work to do? We'd better leave soon if we don't
want to be late.
(M) I've got finish typing this letter and then I'll come. I'll probably be about 10 minutes late.
(W) Well, if you're sure. I'll just see you there. I don't think the others will be too pleased, though
You were late last time, too.
(M) I know, but I have to finish this first.
Questions 50 through 52 refer to the following conversation
(M) Maybe we should meet tomorrow to discuss the results of the market survey. They've been gathering dust
on my desk for weeks.
(W) Yes, we've been procrastinating, haven't we? I'd like to come up with a strategic plan for the year
before the next quarter. If we don't do it soon, it'll be too late.
(M) Good. How about at 10 in my office? I'll print out the collated results for you.
Questions 53 through 55 refer to the following conversation
(W) Walt, there's a call for you on line 2. It's the supply department about our paper order.
He wants to confirm how many boxes of paper you want.
(M) Tell him. I'll call him right back. I'm reviewing applications for the sales position.
(W) OK, but he needs to know today if the order is for 13 or 30 boxes. It says 30 on his form,
it's a lot more than usual.
(M) Right. Tell him 30. We'll be printing a lot of leaflets this month.
Questions 56 through 58 refer to the following conversation
(W) Good morning. May I help you, sir?
(M) Yes, I'm looking for Beckwith and Drum, the building but I cant't seem to find their name
on signboard. I must be in the wrong place.
(W) They used to have an office in the building, but they moved two blocks away to 215 W.87th street, suit
300. They are still using their old phone number if you want to call them.
Questions 59 through 61 refer to the following conversation
(M) I've just come out of a planning meeting. The manager says we have to cut overhead costs. He wants to
cut the budget by $25,000
(W) What? I don't see how we can possibly do that. We're already operating on a really tight budget.
(M) I know, but I wonder if we can eliminate one position. Who on the staff is dispensable?
(W) Well, I don't envy you having to make that decision.
Questions 62 through 64 refer to the following conversation
(W) I'd like to fly from EL Paso, Texas to New York, leaving on the 12th and returning the 19th.
(M) I'm sorry, ma'am. All flights are booked for the 12th. Can you go another day? We have seats available
on the 11th and on the 13th.
(W) Well, not the 11th but I guess the 13th would be OK if that's all you have left. And could I have an
(M) That should be easy to arrange.
Questions 65 through 67 refer to the following conversation
(M) I understand you've opened a branch office in Jakarta. How's it going?
(W) Quite well. It was hard at first and we've had some challenges with translating documents but the
manager has just hired some excellent local employees.
(M) I wonder if you'd give us some tips; we're considering expanding into Malaysia.
(W) I'd be delighted. Why don't you give me secretary a call and we can set up a meeting.
Questions 68 through 70 refer to the following conversation
(W) I've read it and read it over and over but I still don't think the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of this
letter are very clear.
(M) Would you like me to go over it for you? Sometimes a second person can see something that you missed.
(W) Yes, and take your time. I'd rather have it perfect even if it's late. This is a very important document.
Part 4 Short Talks
Questions 71 through 73 refer to the following advertisement
(M) There are ten secrets every Mutual Fund investor should know. Do you know them? Ellison's new brochure,
10 Secrets Every Mutual Fund Investor Should Know" explains it all. It's packed with strategic information
from some of the nation's top fund managers. It is indispensable knowledge that even experienced investors
as well as mutual fund novices, will find valuable. It's yours free with our compliments. Yes, that's right.
No payment necessary. Just call 800-527-9000 and ask for a copy today. CD format also available. With 10 Secrets
Every Mutual Fund Investor Should Know: you could be on your way to financial success by the end of month.
Questions 74 through 76 refer to the following message
(W) Thank you for calling Sportech Consumer Affairs. You have reached the Sportech customer support hotline.
Unfortunately, all of our representatives are currently unavailable. To listen to a recorded message please press
one of the following numbers. For Sportech literature and product information press 1. For retailers and
factory outlets press 2. To provide comments and feedback press 3. To check on the status of a returned product
press 4. If none of these address your particular issue, please press 5 to speak to a Sportech representative
and remain on the line. We aim to answer all calls within three to four minutes. Thank you for your patience
To return to the main menu, press star.
Questions 77 through 79 refer to the following announcement.
(M) Ellen Wagner assumed the presidency of Auto Enterprises in 1974, thereby becoming the first woman
to head a Fortune 500 company. After 10 years, she moved to Washington DC, to take the position of head of
the Department of Transportation, which she maintained for eight years through two sets of government
administrations. She has been an inspiration to aspiring business people and outstanding role model for
more than a few of the women here tonight. As many of you are aware, she retired last year to write a book
about transportation and the modern world. I know that I for one am eagerly awaiting its publication
Please welcome, as our guest speaker for the Walker Schuster Guest Lecture Series, Ms Ellen Wagner.
Questions 80 through 82 refer to the following information.
(W) Since 1992 when the Main Danube canal opened, linking the Rhine and Danube Rivers by way of the
Main River barges have been able to go all the way across Europe from North Sea to the Black Sea. Now
a tour operator Uniworld of New York, plans to take up to 150 passengers next summer on the new Wolfgang
I and II on each of two 22 night trips it calls the Ultimate Grand Cruise. On June 27th the vessels will
leave Amsterdam headed for Constanta in Romania passing through or along Germany the Czech Republic
Austria Slovakia Hungary and Bulgaria with stops along the way. On July 17th the vessels will retrace
the route. This luxury cruise will be offered on a first come, first served basis and participants
will be allowed to join only one of these cruises.
Questions 83 through 85 refer to the following advertisement
(M) If you're ever suffered the inconvenience of having a loan or credit application rejected due
to your credit record, you'll know just how damaging that record can be to your financial prospects.
Find out what's on your credit report is constantly having information added to it by others. So,
it's important that you review it to make sure it's accurate. View a list of your outstanding balances
including mortgages and loans car payments your overall payment history for the past year and a
summary of who has requested copies of your credit report. This offer for a complimentary copy
of your credit report. This offer for a complimentary copy of your credit report is available only
to you. But you must not delay. Call 800-900-900 right now and we'll send you an easy to fill
out release form.
Questions 86 through 88 refer to the following announcement
(W) The Dow Jones Industrials rose 4% for the week of November 17th-21th giving investors hope that
the troublesome fail witnessed in the month of October has ended. European and Asian markets settled
into a strong trend with European stocks up 4.66% and Asian stocks up 7.2% showing signs of recovery
for struggling Asian markets. Investors are optimistic about worldwide market prospects with signs of
economic recovery taking place in Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong. With the price of oil continuing
its slow descent investors are looking less hesitant and are showing more confidence in the airline
industry having sent stocks in several airlines plummeting after the first large rises in fuel costs
were announced earlier this year.
Questions 89 through 91 refer to the following advertisement
(M) Many people think this is the world's finest showerhead and we think you'll agree. Don't be fooled
by its simple appearance. Used in 5 star hotels and top health spas this showerhead delivers a consistent,
efficient 2.5 gallons per minute,regardless of water pressure. It is adjustable from an invigorating
needle spray to a full flood. The specially constructed plastic nozzles resist mineral build-up. It installs
without special tools. It's made in the USA and is available in chrome for $50 or brass for $70. For
an additional $10, you can purchase a special mineral salt attachment and 20 mineral tablets. This screw-on
attachment contains a refillable water-softening mineral tablet which will give you health spa grade
water each time you use it. Each tablet is good for at least 25 uses.
Questions 92 through 94 refer to the following message
(W) Hello. This is Amanda Patel. I called yesterday to make a reservation for three twin rooms for the
weekend of April 23rd and 24th. You tool me to call back today to confirm this. It looks like I have
called at a bad time, as there is no one here to make my call. Uhm, anyway actually I needed to make some
changes to that reservation I hope that they will be possible. First, I'm really sorry but I gave you
the wrong dates. I'd like to change my reservation to the weekend of April 30th as one of our group
members is unable to make the previous weekend.Also I would like to change the kinds pf rooms I reserved.
Could I change to two twin rooms and two single rooms? OK, well I'll call back a bit later.
Questions 95 through 97 refer to the following announcement
(M) Attention all passengers! Attention all passengers Due to a derailment at Oxbury Crossing area will
be subject to severe delays. This will affect all trains to and from London and Heathrow. However,
trains to and from Greenstead and Hamilton will run according to schedule. I repeat, all trains to and
from London and Heathrow will be subject to severe delays. We apoplogize for this inconvenience
and assure you that everything is being done to minimize disruptions to services. Passengers with
flights departing from Heathrow Airport before 4 p.m are encouraged to make alternate arrangements
as we cannot guarantee being able to resolve problems in time for you to make your flights. Please
show your airplane tickets at the ticket office and we will refund your train fare.
Questions 98 through 100 refer to the following report
(W) Reports are in of a hold-up at the Smithfield Road broach of the Metropolis Bank. Masked gunmen
entered the bank shortly after it opened at nine o'clock this morning. According to eye-witnesses
called the police who are now surrounding the building. Nothing has been heard from anyone in the bank
but it is believed that 10 members of bank staff and possibly 10 or 12 customers are currently
inside. No decision has been made as yet on whether to storm the bank but members of the public are
requested to avoid the Smithfield Road and 73rd Street area.
3. Answer key Practice Test 2 - Target TOEIC
1. (C) The doctors are looking at an x-ray.
2. (A) There's no one in the lobby.
3. (B) The woman is getting off the train.
4. (C) The referee is observing the players.
5. (A) It's too early to check in for the ladder.
6. (D) The woman is standing atop the ladder.
7. (B) The clothes are hanging on the rack.
8. (A) The two men are shaking hand on an agreement.
9. (B) They are working near a minor road.
10. (A) The woman is writing something in her book.
11. (C) No, The repairman hasn't arrived yet.
12. (A) All weekend.
13. (B) Sure, but I need it back.
14. (B) There were a lot of items to discuss.
15. (A) We're going to buy a new one.
16. (A) On the middle shelf towards the wall.
17. (B) Well, have a safe flight.
18. (C) No, we're closing early for the holiday.
19. (C) I have an opening at eleven.
20. (B) Two years ago.
21. (C) Twenty -five should be enough.
22. (A) Wait. I need to take a look first!
23. (A) I'm sorry sir. I only have window seats available.
24. (A) OK, I can get it done after lunch.
25. (A) There was a power outage, so I couldn't serve customers.
26. (A) Ian and Brian will be joining you.
27. (A) He'll have an office on the fifth floor.
28. (A) As soon as possible.
29. (B) It says in the program.
30. (A) I'd go for the candidate with the most experience.
31. (B) I hope they're not locked inside the cabinet.
32. (B) I don't know. I haven't counted them yet.
33. (C) He said he would put it between the copy machine and filing cabinets.
34. (B) I've already sent them yo your secretary.
35. (A) The basement is flooded and there was nowhere else to put them.
36. (A) I believe it's still Andy McCarthy.
37. (A) Relax, I still have a whole day to get it done.
38. (C) It's probably got a virus.
39. (A) Thank you. I designed the lettering using my PC.
40. (B) Turn the green lever, then pull out the empty tube.
41. (D) Their employer.
42. (B) It is much nicer than his old computer.
43. (A) She is looking forward to getting one.
44. (C) At a conference all week.
45. (B) Check the Asian reports immediately
46. (B) Bad news
47. (B) To a meeting.
48. (C) He needs to finish writing a letter.
49. (B) The man will be late again.
50. (B) Market research.
51. (C) Tomorrow at ten o'clock.
52. (B) Documents to be read.
53. (D) The supply department.
54. (B) He is busy.
55. (A) 30 boxes.
56. (A) He thinks he is lost.
57. (B) An office a couple of blocks away.
58. (D) By calling their old number.
59. (B) Reduce overhead.
60. (A) They're unreasonable.
61. (C) Lay off one member of the staff.
62. (C) To New York
63. (B) The woman has to reduce the length of her trip.
64. (D) On the 19th.
65. (B) Overseas business challenges.
66. (B) Translation
67. (A) His company may expand overseas.
68. (D) A letter.
69. (B) Check a letter for her.
70. (A) Perfection is more important than punctuality.
71. (B) A brochure on mutual funds.
72. (C) Call and request a copy.
73. (B) It is free.
74. (C) Consumer affairs.
75. (D) Star
76. (B) 4 minutes
77. (B) She is writing a book.
78. (A) 10 years.
79. (D) Nobel Prize winner.
80. (C) A tour operator.
81. (B) 2
82. (B) 300
83. (B) The interest earned on your bank account.
84. (C) Your credit record is always changing.
85. (C) Someone whose credit application was rejected.
86. (A) The market was weak in October.
87. (C) 4%
88. (D) Because of an increase in fuel costs
89. (D) It states that it is used in the best health spas and hotels.
90. (C) $20
91. (B) To soften water
92. (C) To alter a reservation.
93. (A) 4
94. (B) She will telephone the hotel again.
95. (C) A train has come off the rail tracks.
96. (B) Rail travelers with flights leaving Heathrow Airport before 4 p.m.
97. (B) At the ticket office.
98. (A) In a bank.
99. (D) The gunmen bank clerks and customers.
100. (C) People standing in the street.
Practice Test 3 - Target TOEIC
Target TOEIC Second Edition Book